Get your kids ready for spring sports
It may not feel like spring outside just yet, but many spring sports team are getting ready to start practice – if they haven’t already!
Before sending your kids back to the field, court or track – it’s important to prepare them for a safe, healthy season.
Prepare your kids for spring sports and activities with these tips.
· Get a sports physical at your pediatrician – many athletic teams require one.
· Do a helmet check to ensure bicycle and athletic helmets fit properly; check athletic helmets for the American Standards Testing Materials label.
· Protect the teeth with mouth guards for contact sports.
· Get the right gear – talk to your child’s coach to make sure you have the correct protective gear.
Help your kids avoid injury.
· Get plenty of sleep
· Avoid skipping meals
· Stay hydrated before, during and after play
· Tell kids to listen to their bodies and to stop and speak up if something hurts
· Complete proper warm-up and cool-down with stretching
· Always wear the proper protective gear
If your child is injured:
· Seek medical attention early
· Depending on the injury, physical therapy may help your child make a more complete recovery and prevent re-injury
· Transition back to play slowly to prevent recurrent injury
Remember – you know your child best. If you suspect your child has a sports injury, visit the emergency department or your pediatrician.
Do you or a love done need physical therapy following an injury? Adventist HealthCare Rehabilitation offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation including physical therapy, treatment of orthopedic injuries and neurological conditions and much more.
Find more tips from Nurse Rose here: www.AdventistHealthCare.com/NurseRose.